- Preparation of Flood Protection Plan for the country including management of the plan;
- Scrutiny of flood control/protection schemes funded by Federal Government and prepared by Provincial Governments and Federal Agencies;
- Review of damage of flood protection works and review of plans for restoration and reconstruction works;
- Measures for improvement of Flood Forecasting & Warning System;
- Preparation of Research Programmed for flood control and protection;
- Standardization of designs and specifications for flood protection works;
- Recommendations regarding principles of regulation of reservoirs for flood control;
- Evaluation and monitoring of progress of implementation of the National Flood Protection Plans;
- Federal Flood Commission may notify sub-committees as it deems appropriate.
Activities Performed during 2020
- The 55th Annual meeting of FFC was organized on 15.06.2020 under the Chairmanship of Chief Engineering Advisor/ Chairman Federal Flood Commission.
- The Flood Communication Cell established in FFC started working on round the clock basis since 15th June 2020 and worked on 24 hours basis during the entire monsoon season (15th June – 15th October 2020)
- FFC issued daily Flood Situation Report (DFSR) on daily basis to higher-ups and Flood Management-related agencies.
- In addition to DFSR , sixteen (16) Weather Advisories, one (01) GLOF forecast, and three (03) significant flood forecasts were issued by Flood Communication Cell.
- FFC prepared the list of flood protection schemes in consultation with the Provincial Irrigation Departments and Federal Line Agencies and re-prioritized in light of budget
allocated under PSDP i.e. Rs 1500 million allocated under PSDP (2020-21) for the execution of urgent nature flood protection schemes through Normal/Emergent Flood Programme;
- One meeting of Scrutinizing Committee of FFC was organized in Jan. 2020, wherein flood protection schemes were technically examined and recommended to the Ministry of Water Resources
for approval of CDWP.
- Two (2) meetings were organized by FFC for review of progress on implementation of flood projects under GOP funded Normal/Emergent Flood Programme;
- The 11th Progress Review meeting of the Federal Flood Commission was organized on 28.10.2020 to review the status of compliance with directions given by the Honourable
Supreme Court of Pakistan on the recommendations of Flood Inquiry Commission regarding 2010- floods;
- The Post Flood Meeting was organized on 16.12.2020, which was attended by all stakeholders. Necessary directions were issued to concerned organizations for taking immediate steps for implementation of decisions taken in the said meeting;
- Sixteen (16) site inspections of flood protection schemes being executed under the Normal/Emergent Flood Programme were carried out by the FFC’s Monitoring Teams throughout the country.